This international conference, hosted by the University of Ottawa in collaboration with The Hague Institute for Global Justice, will interest policy-makers, decision-makers, academics and students, as well as representatives of civil society and the business community who want to better understand major emerging international issues.
In a world of increasing insecurity and uncertainty, borders are being challenged by health issues and communicable diseases, environmental and climate changes, international capital flows and free trade agreements, crime and cybercrime, migration and refugees, and terrorism. Our ever more interdependent world demands effective governance.
The conference brought together leading national and international experts in security and state fragility, global community and just society, and reform of global institutions. They shared their perspectives on current and future challenges, and possible solutions for Canada.
Speakers at this conference included:
- The Right Honourable Paul Martin, former Prime Minister of Canada
- The Honourable Louise Arbour, C.C., G.O.Q., Counsel, Borden, Ladner Gervais LLP; Chair, President’s International Advisory Board of the University of Ottawa
- Lloyd Axworthy, former Minister of Foreign Affairs and current Chancellor, St. Paul’s University College, former President of the University of Winnipeg
- Irina Bokova, Director-General of UNESCO
- Adama Dieng, United Nations Under-Secretary-General; Special Adviser to the Secretary-General on the Prevention of Genocide
- The Honourable Stéphane Dion, P.C., M.P. Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Huguette Labelle, C.C., Emeritus Chancellor, University of Ottawa; member, President’s International Advisory Board of the University of Ottawa; former Deputy Minister, Canadian International Development Agency
- Abiodun Williams, President, The Hague Institute for Global Justice
- The Honourable Kevin Rudd, Former Prime Minister of Australia
- James Steinberg, Dean of the Maxwell School of Public Policy and former Deputy Secretary of State of the United States of America and member of the President’s International Advisory Board
For more details about this conference, click here.